new vase design 8.23.2018

I’m testing out a new vase design, and when I test, I always make more than one test;)

IMG_7692
First I threw three cylinders on the pottery wheel.
IMG_7725
Then I threw ten spouts,  even though I needed only three. It’s a good idea to make more than I need, just to be sure I have the choice of just the right shape for each vase.
IMG_7726
Then I rolled out a slab and cut out three round tops.
IMG_7729
Using a plastic fork, I trimmed the top of the cylinders and the bottom of the spouts at a slight angle.
IMG_7727
Here are the vase pieces all lined up and ready to be put together. Cylinder, flat top, and spout.
IMG_7728
First I added the spout to the top.
IMG_7730
Then I combined the top with the cylinder, with an extra roll of clay added for better adhesion.
IMG_7735
Here are all three vases formed up. Now they get put under plastic for several days so the different pieces of clay get to know each other.
IMG_7778
Next step is trimming, to carve away the excess clay and refine the form.

These dried very slowly under plastic for a few weeks. They probably didn’t need that long to dry, but since I wasn’t using my home studio, it took longer to check on the drying status. I’ll post another pic of these after they survive the bisque and glaze firing.

One thought on “new vase design 8.23.2018

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s